Monday, December 6, 2010

First Post

This blog will act as my virtual sketchbook: stuff that didn't make it into my physical sketchbook.  Images, links, personal stories and experiences as I begin a new chapter in my life.  For all of you interested, please follow and feel free to engage.  

-----

What is art?  What is not art?  What factors distinguish what is and isn't, and who determines these defining characteristics?

These are some questions belabored upon in every art theory class and studio critique.  Although I have painfully discussed these questions with multiple peers, professors and complete strangers--they are back to haunt me once again as I want to hear everyones opinion on the topic.  Before I publish a post in order to initiate the conversation...here are some images -coming soon- that may help readers gain a better understanding of who I am.  Some are images I encountered, others I created as a result of something I encountered.  What I see heavily influences the way I think and interact; I hope you find something unique that stands out to you in these images, as well.   Some have very simple explanations as to why I found them interesting, others more complicated.  Ask if you have questions...I'm sure I'll need to defend or clarify the importance of each photo.  

Alyssa








                                © Alyssa Mannis 2010


                                 © Alyssa Mannis 2010

    © Alyssa Mannis 2010
                                © Alyssa Mannis 2010
© Alyssa Mannis 2010
© Alyssa Mannis 2010

© Alyssa Mannis 2010
© Alyssa Mannis 2010

© Alyssa Mannis 2010

© Alyssa Mannis 2010

© Alyssa Mannis 2010

© Alyssa Mannis 2010

© Alyssa Mannis 2010

© Alyssa Mannis 2010

© Alyssa Mannis 2010

© Alyssa Mannis 2010

© Alyssa Mannis 2010

© Alyssa Mannis 2010

© Alyssa Mannis 2010

© Alyssa Mannis 2010


© Alyssa Mannis 2010

© Alyssa Mannis 2010


© Alyssa Mannis 2010





© Alyssa Mannis 2010











1 comment:

  1. Some of these images (e.g. the shell in your hand) only mean something because of the personal history you have with them -- the day you took them, what you were thinking of that day, etc. While it may be art to you (anything can be labeled "art" under the right circumstances), that does not make it art of its own accord.

    For instance, some artists do not even title their pieces, so as not to give any morsel of unnecessary interpretation -- to leave it all to the viewer. Other works of art cannot be understood without their greater context at all. How much context do you think is allowable for a piece to retain its value in the public's eye?

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
http://www.YoursTrulyHandmade.com http://www.AlyssaMannis.com Enjoy!